Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ericsson

My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Edwin

My Neighborhood Data: http://roosevelt.mpls.k12.mn.us/2009_Neighborhoods.html

My Neighborhood Name: Ericsson

My Neighborhood Description: It’s located in the southeast of Minneapolis

1. Public Services (parks, libraries, schools)
Grade: B
Comments:I gave it a B because i put all of the parks, schools. Lake Hiawatha Park, Minnehaha Park, Roosevelt Library, Roosevelt High School, Northrop Elementary, and Folwell Middle School

2. Transportation (access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets, and highways)
Grade: B
Comments: I gave this a B cause i put all of the bus & train numbers and bicycle paths. Minnehaha pkwy, Bus 22, 7, 46 Trains 46Th

3. Retail Services (groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants and more)
Grade: C
Comments: Some are Walgreens, Flag Foods, Dokkens Superette, Bill’s Garden, Baker’s Wife, McDonalds, Burger King.

4. Safety (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders, and pedestrian safety)
Grade: B
Comments: Some bad stuff happened in my neighborhood but in Kenny a couple of stuff happened like crimes & in Jordan a lot of bad stuff happened than in my neighborhood and in Kenny. But Jordan is probably the worst place to live in.

5. Nuisances (airport noise, pollution, and odors)
Grade: C
Comments: Where I live there’s no airplane noise, no pollution and the air quality is OK. Basically there’s no problem with noise, pollution and the air.

6. Demographics (diversity, homeowner ship, education, income, and poverty)
Grade: B
Comments: In neighborhood education is not that good and homeowner ship is pretty big, in Kenny the education is a bit higher and the homeowner ship is also pretty big, and in Jordan the education is lower than in my neighborhood and in Kenny. The homeowner ship in Jordan is less than my neighborhood and Kenny.

7. Areas for Improvement: There's no areas to be improved in my neighborhood everything is o.k. the way it is. But there's only one thing that should be improved in my neighborhood is crime and burglary.

8. What I like best about my neighborhood: What I like about my neighborhood is the people that live there and it’s also close to a park so kids can go and play. I also like it because there’s a park with soccer nets and I like it because I like to play soccer a lot & so I can practice also.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood: What I want see in my neighborhood is no more crimes, because there’s been a couple not a lot just like 3 or 5 but I want that to stop. Also want kids to be safe and to play at the park or outside there house.

1 comment:

  1. I think that #'s 1,2,3 is the strength of Erickson, schools are actually quite good since 80% of Minneapolitans don't have children living in the homes. You gave Nuisances a "C", and commented that there is no pollution, yet there are noisy buses, airplanes, car traffic, ect..., this grade is accurate, but your comments don't match the grade you gave it. Something to consider for improvments would be neighborhood outreach, having neighbors that look out for one another creates awareness of who "belongs" and who doesn't. This dramatically decreases the amount of burglary and other petty crimes that truly hampers neighborhood safety. I've lived in the neighborhood for 12 years and love the area, but I detest the noise, the petty crime, and not knowing any teenagers in the neighborhood. Teenager have very little opportunity to connect with adults in the neighborhood. If there were a way to get the talents of the teens in the neighborhoods and give them a chance to show adults that teens are good kids and just need a purpose, perhaps service learning, would foster a new level of understanding and connectedness for teens and adults in the city.

    ReplyDelete