Thursday, October 15, 2009

Harrison

My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Amy

My Neighborhood Data: http://roosevelt.mpls.k12.mn.us/2009_Neighborhoods.html

My Neighborhood Name: Harrison

My Neighborhood Description: Harrison neighborhood is located north of Minneapolis. It’s a great place to hang out especially if you like to play sports. They have many sports team.

1. Public Services (parks, libraries, schools)
Grade: B
Comments: We have Harrison Park, Sumner Library, Wild Flower Garden, Bassett’s Creek, and Theodore Wirth Park. It’s not one of the public service but it works.

2. Transportation (access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets, and highways)
Grade: C
Comments: We have Olson Memorial Highway (highways 55) , bus number nine and eight-teen, major streets like Penn and Glenwood, but we have no train or bike routes. The transportation is pretty good you don’t have to wait that long to get on the bus. The highway is just north of my neighborhood.

3. Retail Services (groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants and more)
Grade: C
Comments: We don’t have as much retail services as other neighborhood. We do have a restaurant and a coffee shop. We don’t have a bank, groceries, or pharmacies. But if you drive about 7 miles right to Broadway they have a lot of retail services. The service there is okay, there are always people around there so it can be quite safe.

4. Safety (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders, and pedestrian safety)
Grade: D
Comments: Our neighborhood is safe in some parts but for other parts in the neighborhood its not. There are some shots fired but not it didn’t hit anyone. We do have predatory offenders that can really be harmful and dangerous.

5. Nuisances (airport noise, pollution, and odors)
Grade: B
Comments: We do hear a little bit of airplane noise when it goes over our homes. Sometimes we can feel a vibration. Pollution in my neighborhood is not bad at all compare to other places. Our neighborhood doesn’t have any stinky odor.

6. Demographics (diversity, homeownership, education, income, and poverty)
Grade: C
Comments: My neighborhood is really diverse. Homeownership is quite good. Education is important to my neighborhood so our education is really good. 13.4% of my community is living under the poverty line. I think our education is pretty decent.7. Areas for Improvement: Some of the things we need to improve are our crimes is higher then it should be. We should have more bikes routes. The pollution is needs a little work. If we fix those few things it may help our neighborhood improve.

7. Areas for Improvement: Some of the things we need to improve are our crimes is higher then it should be. We should have more bikes routes. The pollution is needs a little work. If we fix those few things it may help our neighborhood improve.

8. What I like best about my neighborhood: What I like about my neighborhood is the people. Everyone in the community is nice and friendly. It’s really safe to go to the park with just kids because there’s always an adult there. It’s just a nice place to be at.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood: I would like to see people out more. Most of the people are always in there house not interacting with the neighbors. I think they should because it’s a great way to meet people and make friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment