Thursday, October 15, 2009

Minnehaha

My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Tony

My Neighborhood Data: http://roosevelt.mpls.k12.mn.us/2009_Neighborhoods.html

My Neighborhood Name: Minnehaha

My Neighborhood Description: My neighborhood is off of Highway 62 near the 34th avenue off ramp in the southeastern corner of Minneapolis. It is a very quiet spot very little action goes on. There’s a park, and it ends near Minnehaha Creek.

1. Public Services (parks, libraries, schools)
Grade: A
Comments: There are a couple of parks, and schools and one library. I gave Minnehaha because there is at least one school, library and park.

2. Transportation (access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets, and highways)
Grade: A
Comments: It is right off of Highway 62. Also near the creek there are bike paths. Also, the boundary of my neighborhood ends at Hiawatha Avenue; there are bus routes and the LRT that leave from there. Also, at the end of my block there is a city bus stop.

3. Retail Services (groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants and more)
Grade: A
Comments: In my neighborhood there aren’t any inside of the boundary, but there are banks, restaurants, and more. All except pharmacies, the only one near my neighborhood is on the other side of Hiawatha Avenue.

4. Safety (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders, and pedestrian safety)
Grade: B
Comments: Although there aren’t many crimes that go on, many things that happen go unreported. My friend lives four blocks away and he is always saying that there are either cops or ambulances on his block. The C4 crimes are widespread in my neighborhood too.

5. Nuisances (airport noise, pollution, and odors)
Grade: A
Comments: There is very little of anything like pollution or anything, but the airplane noise gets annoying because we live just outside of the limits for the special windows.

6. Demographics (diversity, homeownership, education, income, and poverty)
Grade: C
Comments: My neighborhood is predominantly white with little diversity. Almost all people in my neighborhood own their house. Only 40% have a bachelor degree. Income averages to be about $50,000. Only 2% of the people in my neighborhood are below the poverty line.

7. Areas for Improvement: On my block many drivers roar down the street, to fix it may be to put up some speed bumps, but other than that not much to fix.

8. What I like best about my neighborhood: I like the availability of parks and businesses, most of which are within walking distance.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood: An extension of the noise abatement funds and projects window treatments. Especially if the boundary ends right at my block where the planes still fly over we should be entitled to the windows too.

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree with putting some bumps along the streets to limit the speed of cars so as to provide more security for the people living around the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete