Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jordan

My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Keng

My Neighborhood Data:
http://roosevelt.mpls.k12.mn.us/2009_Neighborhoods.html

My Neighborhood Name: Jordan


My Neighborhood Description: My neighborhood is in North Minneapolis. It is bounded on the North by Lowry Ave. N, on the East by Emerson Ave. N, and West by West Broadway Ave. It was named after a Minneapolis Public School Superintendent Emeritus Charles Morison Jordan.


1. Public Services (parks, libraries, schools)
Grade: C

Comments: There is Glen Gale Park, Fairview Park, North Regional Library, Nellie Stone Johnson, and Lucy Craft Laney/Hmong International Academy. I arrived it at a C because most of my trips to these places are usually walks.

2. Transportation: (access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets, and highways)
Grade: B

Comments: My transportation is walking, biking, the bus, or my parents.
Sometimes I take the bus to places; Buses I use are Bus 5 and 4. I don’t have a bike of my own but I do ask my brothers for theirs. I usually bike on 26th Ave N, but I don’t bike there no more. I just bike on sidewalks usually all the way to downtown. I tend to not ask my parents that much because they’re always busy with lots of work. So like I said, I usually walk for my transportation. But when I need to, I take it.

3. Retail Services: (groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants and more)
Grade: A

Comments: I live near Cub Foods, So Lo grocery outlet, Aldi, CVS Pharmacy, Family Dollar, Do it Best, US Bank, TCF Bank, Bean Scene, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc. I say I live in a neighborhood that provides a lot for me in many ways. This neighborhood has groceries, hardware’s, pharmacies, coffee shops, restaurants, and everything that I need.

4. Safety: (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders, and pedestrian safety)
Grade: D

Comments: I live near Aggravated Assaults and lots of other C4 Offences. I wouldn't say my neighborhood is as bad as an F but it is bad to be a D. I heard lots of things in the news that occurs in my neighborhood. Sometimes it’s even occurs near my house. But the good thing is that I’m always at the right place at the right time.

5. Nuisances: (airport noise, pollution, and odors)
Grade: A

Comments: None. I would say it’s an A because I hear no noises of airports nearby and no loud noises except construction workers if nearby and people.

6. Demographics: (diversity, homeownership, education, income, and poverty)
Grade: C

Comments: I say it would be in the between of the grade level because I’m glad that there’s diversity but the people in my neighborhood doesn’t have a house, have a Bachelor Degree, and most families are below poverty level. My neighborhood needs to work on that more so our neighborhood can grow.

7. Areas for Improvement:
I would say the one thing that we need to improve the most is decreasing our crime rates. With our crime rates, it shows us who we are as a neighborhood. Lots of people would try to avoid it because of this. Because of this, people in our neighborhood rely on violence instead of their education to succeed helping our neighborhood. So yeah, this is what my neighborhood needs to work on the most.


8. What I like best about my neighborhood:
What I like about my neighborhood is that it can sometimes be quiet and I like it that way. Most of the time, it can be very quiet. In the afternoon or past noon, it gets louder and louder each time. But most of the time it’s quiet at times. So peaceful, I can ever hear the birds and the wind blowing.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood:

What I want to see my neighborhood is to be a good neighborhood. I don’t want to see our neighborhood that is a sign for “The Most Dangerous Place in Minneapolis.” I want it to be a neighborhood to welcome someone and feel comfortable in that neighborhood and become a part of our neighborhood. Most of the people that move here to Jordan become the violence because they see it as a thing that goes in our neighborhood. That is what I hope to see in our neighborhood, to become better.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Keng. Thank you for writing about your feelings for the Jordan neighborhood. It helps to hear a younger person's perspective. There are many good people here who are working hard to make Jordan a better place. Crime is much less than it was three years ago, but it is still too high. Many times, the violence is caused by people who come into our neighborhood to cause trouble, people who do not live in Jordan.

    One of the things that stands out in your writing is that you understand how important education is. That makes me happy. We need young people like you to work hard, get your college degree(s) and become successful. That is one thing young people can do to make Jordan a better place.

    The other thing that helps is to take care of the neighborhood as if it were your room or your house. There are many people who throw their trash all over our streets, and it makes the neighborhood look very bad. If everyone believed that their neighborhood belongs to them (like you do!), then perhaps they would take better care of it.

    Thank you for writing.

    Dottie

    ReplyDelete