Thursday, October 15, 2009

Powderhorn

My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Selena

My Neighborhood Data: http://roosevelt.mpls.k12.mn.us/2009_Neighborhoods.html

My Neighborhood Name: Powderhorn

My Neighborhood Description: south of Lake Street, west of Cedar Ave., north of 38th street , east of Chicago Ave. It was named after the lake that is shaped like a Powderhorn. It very fun to see all the celebration that goes on in my neighborhood.

1. Public Services (park, libraries, schools)
Grade: B
Comments: I arrived to that grade by seeing how many public services there are in my neighborhood and how far they are. They are Toni's Market, South Side Food Deli, Latino groceries, movies on 35st, acme awning, us bank, international lend of Mn, Wells Fargo, Ala salsa, KFC, Manny's Tortas, Mayday Cafe, no pharmacies.

2. Transportation ( access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets, and highways)
Grade: B
Comments: I arrived at this grade because it is very good in everything except of the no bike trail situation. The Bus routes are 38,133,14,5,23 and highway 36w is near.

3. Retail Services ( groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants and more)
Grade: B
Comments: I arrived to grade B because my neighborhood doesn’t have a pharmacy and I only have one library, and it’s not in my neighborhood its near it. I have plenty of grocery stores. And plenty of places to eat even though they are not in my neighborhood they’ re near it.

4. Safety (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders, and pedestrian safety)
Grade: B
Comments: My neighborhood is a very safe neighborhood compared to other neighborhood for example my neighborhood is way better than Jordan neighborhood they have way more crime than my neighborhood, but my neighborhood compared to Kenny well it ‘s o.k. Kenney neighborhood has basically no crime. My neighborhood has 7 predatory offenders that is a lot compared to Kenny that has absolutely no predatory offenders but Jordan has 11 way more than me.

5. Nuisances (airport noise, pollution, and odors)
Grade: A
Comments: it is North of all the noise because of the airport, so i don't get that much nuisances. My neighborhood has little pollution like other neighborhoods.

6. Demographics (diversity, homeownership, education, income, and poverty)
Grade: A
Comments: I gave this an A because my neighborhood has lots of diversity it has more than half of the people in my neighborhood 59% of it are Owner-occupied housing units. The education is o.k. Not the best it’s 28% has a bachelors degree or higher families below poverty level are 15.4%not good at all .it is way more than Kenny that has 2.9% and a little better then Jordan which has 27%.

7. Areas for Improvement: My neighborhood could improve in bike trails I would like it if I could get up in the morning and bike not just around Powderhorn lake I would like to bike to someplace just watching nature with barely any man made things except the cement under my bikes wheel. I would like to have something like the greenway near my neighborhood. And maybe a pharmacy a little bit nearer to Powderhorn neighborhood. And it wouldn’t hurt to have a library near to so I can take as less time possible walking to the library when I could be studying or typing something up in the computer.

8. What I like best about my neighborhood: I like that my neighborhood has a park super close and that a lot of celebrations go on there, I love nature I think it very beautiful and to be able to walk a cross the street kind of and get to the park filled with nature I like it very much.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood: I would most like to see my neighborhood safer, in reference of lower crime rates, so that I can go any where by myself and with no worries.



- - - - - - -

My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Jordan

My Neighborhood Name: Powderhorn

My Neighborhood Description: It’s by South High School. It has a big lake and has baseball and football fields.

1. Public Services
Grade: C
Comments: There aren’t any libraries nearby but there are some parks around my neighborhood.

2. Transportation
Grade: A
Comments: There are a lot of bus routes, bike trails, and a light rail stations nearby Powderhorn.

3. Retail Services
Grade: B
Comments: There are some stores near Powderhorn, but they are placed a little far from the neighborhood.

4. Safety
Grade: C
Comments: There are some crimes, but usually its safe around my neighborhood.

5. Nuisances
Grade: C
Comments: There are some airplanes that fly by, but not that many cars come by my house.

6. Demographics
Grade: C
Comments: Sometimes there are homeless people around my neighborhood. But they have nice apartments in my neighborhood.

7. Areas for Improvement: The crime rate and murders should be stopped. And the pollution should be lessened.

8. What I like best about my neighborhood: I like the baseball fields and the football field. I also like the store near my house.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood: I’d like to see people helping clean the streets of all the litter.

1 comment:

  1. Nice analysis.

    Couple thoughts:

    1.It looks like you've got a little bit of overlap between the public services category and the retail category.

    2. I think it's fair to include bus routes that skirt the edge of the neighborhood boundaries. I think you could add bus routes 21, 22, 111, & 53 to the list. Also, I think you mean I-35W, not 36W.

    ReplyDelete