Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hawthorne

My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Lanee

My Neighborhood Data: http://roosevelt.mpls.k12.mn.us/2009_Neighborhoods.html


My Neighborhood Name: Hawthorne

My Neighborhood Description:My neighborhood is near the Missippippi River, Emerson AVE , Broadway Ave, and Lowry Ave. boundary. My neighborhood isn’t the best neighborhood to live in but there is a lot of things going on around my neighborhood.

1. Public Services (parks, libraries, schools)
Grade: B
Comments: Parks in my neighborhood are Fairview, Jordan Park, Newton Triangle, Glen Gale Park, and North Commons. Schools in my neighborhood are Lucy Craft Laney, Nellie Stone Johnson, Cityview, Sheridan, Henry, North, and Edison. The only library in my neighborhood is North Regional.
I arrived at this grade for this section because my neighborhood has a lot of schools and parks and we have a pretty great library, the only problem is the crime.

2. Transportation (access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets, and highways)
Grade: B
Comments: There are bicycle routes on Lowry Ave N, and 26th Ave N. There are many bus routes throughout my neighborhood such as the 5, 19, 22, 32, ectera. Some main streets in my neighborhood are Lyndale, Lowry, Broadway, ectera. The two main highways in my neighborhood are I94, and I35. I arrived at this grade for this section because we have bike routes, many buses run through my neighborhood, we have some main streets, and we have a couple of highways in my neighborhood.

3. Retail Services (groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants and more)
Grade: C
Comments: There are two main grocery stores in my neighborhood Cub Foods, and So Low. Pharmacies in my neighborhood are CVS, and you can use cubs. There are no coffee shops that I know of that are in my neighborhood. We have a bank on Broadway, and there are many restaurants such as the gyro shops, Burger King, McDonalds, Wendy’s, Chinese food, ectera.
I arrived at a C for the overall grade for this section because we only have one bank, only two main grocery stores, one pharmacy, and no coffee shops, but other than that we’re pretty much good.

4. Safety (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders, and pedestrian safety) Grade: F
Comments: My neighborhood is a very violent place, there has been shots fired, and we have 6 predatory offenders in my neighborhood it seems like another comes up each day. The crime rate in my neighborhood is ridiculous.

5. Nuisances (airport noise, pollution, and odors)
Grade: D
Comments: I don’t hear airplane noise in my neighborhood, we have some pollution, and it sometimes stinks like two blocks away from my house.
The only thing that I don’t have in this section is airplane noise so I decided to grade this section as a D.

6. Demographics: (diversity, homeownership, education, income, and poverty)
Grade: D
Comments: My neighborhood is pretty diverse. In my neighborhood we have African American, Asians, and Hispanic people. Not a lot of people own homes in my neighborhood, many people didn’t go to college, the income is generally low, and there are many people in poverty.
I arrived at this grade for my neighborhood because my neighborhood is pretty diverse, homeownership is rare, education after high school is rare, income is low, and poverty is high.

7. Areas for Improvement: My neighborhood would be better if the crime level decreased. Things that could potentially make the crime level decrease is if more people went to college after high school, income became higher, and if more people owned there homes.

8. What I like best about my neighborhood: I like the fact that my neighborhood offers many different things to the community such as libraries, parks, and schools.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood: I’d like to see crime decrease the most so that everyone can see the full potential of my neighborhood, and I’d also enjoy to see more people getting a better education after high school.



My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Terranzi

My Neighborhood Data: http://roosevelt.mpls.k12.mn.us/2009_Neighborhoods.html

My Neighborhood Name: Hawthorne

My Neighborhood Description: My neighborhood is in North Minneapolis, just north of West Broadway Ave.

1. Public Services (parks, libraries, schools)
Grade: [A ]
Comments: There is Folwell Park, and North Regional Library. I chose this because they are easy to get to.

2. Transportation (access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets, and highways)
Grade: [A-]
Comments: I chose this grade because the buses run to slow for me

3. Retail Services (groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants )
Grade: [B][
Comments: I chose this grade because the stores are close enough to walk to. There are Lowry Food Market, So Low, And a store I do not know the mane to yet bout it’s on Lowry in Fremont


4. Safety (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders, and pedestrian safety)
Grade: [C]
Comments: My neighborhood should be able to stay safe for 24 hours a day. My neighborhood is safe to a certain time of the day.

5. Nuisances (airport noise, pollution, and odors)
Grade: [C]
Comments: People should be able to clean up after their dogs. My neighborhood smells like dog poop as soon as you walk outside.

6. Demographics (diversity, homeownership, education, income, and poverty)
Grade: [A]
Comments: Them school are schools of achievement and I would recommend for people to send their kids there.

7. Areas for Improvement: My neighborhood can improve more by not shooting at all so people wouldn’t be scared to walk out the house.

8. What I like best about my neighborhood: Things I like about my neighborhood is it have a Drill team around there they I love to go to everyday.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood:

No comments:

Post a Comment