Thursday, October 15, 2009

Standish

My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Frankie

My Neighborhood Name: Standish


My Neighborhood Description: My neighborhood is on the South side of Minneapolis near Lake Hiawatha

1. Public Services (parks, libraries, schools)
Grade: A

Comments: Sibley Park, Roosevelt and Nokomis Libraries, Roosevelt High and Folwell junior high

2. Transportation (access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets and highways)
Grade: A

Comments: There is the Minnehaha bike trail, bus routes 21, 23 and the light rail, 3 main streets are Cedar Ave. 38th Street and Hiawatha Ave.

3. Retail Services (groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants and more)
Grade: A

Comments: Everett’s grocery and Mi Axochiapan. There are no pharmacies though. Two coffee shops include Tillie’s Bean and A cup a Joe. There are no banks in my neighborhood. Restaurants include Matt’s, The Chatterbox and Bill’s Garden

4. Safety (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders and pedestrian safety)
Grade: B

Comments: There are a lot of non-violent crimes which include robbery and arson. There are a couple of aggravated assaults but no homicides. No shots fired in my neighborhood but a lot really close. There are seven level 3 predatory offenders. Pedestrians are pretty safe in my neighborhood. No cars hitting them or drive by shootings.

5. Nuisances (airport noise, pollution and odors)
Grade: C

Comments: There is a lot of airport noise in my neighborhood; we do live like 5 miles away from the airport. Not a lot of pollution but just a couple of air complaints. No bad odor complaints but I think it smells a lot like sewage a lot.

6. Demographics (diversity, homeownership, education, income and poverty)
Grade: C

Comments: There is a lot of diversity in my neighborhood, only half of it is white. Homeownership is only 60%. I think that should be higher. Education is pretty low for my neighborhood, only 28% have bachelor’s degrees or higher. Income isn’t too bad ($37,462) but I think it should be higher. Poverty level is 15.4% that’s pretty bad.

7. Areas for Improvement: Some streets in my neighborhood can be fixed up, and the construction everywhere should really hurry up and finish.


8. What I like best about my neighborhood: What I like best about my neighborhood is that there are a lot of places you can go to and you don’t have to worry much about safety and how you are going to get there with buses, streets and bike trails.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood: I would like the construction and bad smells to go away and take the predators with them. Also poverty levels should really go down.



My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Giancarlo

My Neighborhood Data: http://roosevelt.mpls.k12.mn.us/2009_Neighborhoods.html


My Neighborhood Name: Standish

My Neighborhood Description: its located southeast Minneapolis

1. Public Services (parks, libraries, schools)
Grade: B
Comments: There is Hiawatha Park, Sibley Field, Roosevelt high School, Folwell Middle School, Roosevelt Library. This neighborhood has good parks, libraries, and schools

2. Transportation (access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets, and highways)
Grade: A
Comments: Hiawatha pkwy, Bus 14,22,23,55, highway 55, 38th street and railroad. you can get were ever you want with the transportation in my neighborhood

3. Retail (groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants and more)
Grade: A
Comments: Tom Thumbs, Flag foods, Dokkens superette, Chris and Robs Chicago Taste, Bill’s Garden, MC Donald’s. You have a lot of grocery store also restaurants that have great food

4. Safety (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders, and pedestrian safety)
Grade: D
Comments: mostly Person Robbery and Aggravated assault. In some parts it can be very dangerous but in some parts is very quiet but compared to others is kind of in the middle.

5. Nuisances (airport noise, pollution, and odors)
Grade: C
Comments: Tanks, leaks and hazardous waste there is a lot of pollution in my neighborhood but in some parts only.

6. Demographics (diversity, homeownership, education, income, and poverty)
Grade: C
Comments: more than 70% of the people in my neighborhood own their house. There are little people that actually finished college in my neighborhood.

7. Areas for Improvement: the areas that need improvement are cedar and 38th because there always like crappy looking or constructing right there and it’s annoying.

8. What I like best about my neighborhood:
I like best in my neighborhood is all the things you can find from restaurants to transportation and grocery stores.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood: What I would like to see in my neighborhood would be to have better fields for baseball, football and soccer that’s the only thing I would like to see in my neighborhood.


- - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -


My Neighborhood Report Card
By: Abey
My Neighborhood Data: http://roosevelt.mpls.k12.mn.us/2009_Neighborhoods.html

My Neighborhood Name: Standish

My Neighborhood Description:

1. Public Services (parks, libraries, schools)
Grade: B
Comments: The schools are Folwell, Northrop, south and Roosevelt. I gave it a B because, the parks are fun but the libraries are good resources.

2. Transportation (access to bike routes, bus and train, main streets, and highways)
Grade: A
Comments: There are a lot of trains, and buses.

3. Retail Services (groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, banks, restaurants and more)
Grade: B
Comments: There are a few coffee shops and there also some groceries and restaurants.

4. Safety (violent and nonviolent crime, shots fired, predatory offenders, and pedestrian safety)
Grade: B
Comments: There aren’t many crimes in my neighborhood. I am happy that growing up in a non-violent environment.

5. Nuisances (airport noise, pollution, and odors)
Grade: A
Comments: There isn’t any complaint in my neighborhood.

6. Demographics (diversity, homeownership, education, income, and poverty)
Grade: A
Comments: The neighborhood I live in is very diverse and the people that live in the neighborhood are nice and there is no poverty.

7. Areas for Improvement: The library hours could be improved because it only opens on 3 times a week.

8. What I like best about my neighborhood: The part about my neighborhood is the community because it’s so supportive and everyone there is so friendly.

9. What I’d Most Like to See for My Neighborhood: I want to see less crime and robberies in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment